maandag 11 mei 2015

Goldstone Squirrel Pendant

For this pendant, I choose a cabochon goldstone. The funny thing about this semiprecious stone is that it is not a natural stone at all. In fact, it is a piece of glittering glass. The glittering is caused by encapsulated pieces of copper. Hence the choice to make a copper and brass setting. 

Despite the synthetic nature of the goldstone, it has some remarkable properties. Goldstone helps the wearer to stay calm and stabilize his or her emotions. It helps to attain one's goals. It can be used as an energy generator and can deflect unwanted energies, making it used as a protection stone. So maybe it was not me choosing the goldstone, but the goldstone choosing me.


The brass is rolled to the correct thickness. 0.7mm for the back plate end 0.3mm for the bezel. Wish I had one of those rolling mills myself, but that will have to wait until I am rich and famous. So that will be at least 3 weeks from now.


I cut a squirrel into the back plate. It only takes me 4 saw blades to do that.




The bezel is soldered to fit the stone and turned out to be just a bit too large. So I get to do it all again, jay! The yellow solder does not flow as easy as silver solder I just learn.

Soldering the bezel to the back also took some effort, but I manage finally.







Next comes the design for the eyelet. 








I Finally settle on a more classic design with twisted copper wire around the circumference of the bezel. After some more soldering, cleaning and sanding, the setting is ready to be 'set'.





For this purpose, I made a brass bezel rocker tool with a willow handle. 





The bezel is made to shine using an Agate stone burnisher.


And here it is, the finished product. 


With a secret squirrel at the back, that the wearer will see each time she puts the necklace around her neck.




Goldsmith Yolanda Nieuwboer of Golden Art Design graciously made these glamour pictures of my pendant:




Thanks!

This pendant is now featured in our portfolio.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten